Date: Throughout 2012-2013
Location: Brighton, Chichester
Target group: Bursaries prioritised for women, lesbian, gay, bisexual or trans people, black or minority ethnic people, and lone parents.
The Sea Legs sailing bursary was aimed at people who: live in Sussex, are out of work or on a low income, have time to commit, and who work well as part of a group.
During Sea Legs, we held Open Days in Brighton and Chichester to recruit people, took 24 people out on two day introductory sails (summer 2012), and selected 5 people for ongoing sail training, who have since completed their RYA Competent Crew course, and have each done a trip to Poole or Weymouth and other sailing trips during autumn and winter 2012/2013.
* 7 people passed their RYA First Aid course
* 1 person completed their RYA Cruising Instructor course
* 3 people passed their RYA Essential Navigation & Seafarer online theory course
* Linked 5 people with other boat owners for ongoing sailing time in 2013
*3 people passed their RYA Day Skipper practical course
* Provided mentoring and support to develop sailing skills and experience
* 3 people acted as 1st Mates on RYA courses during 2013
Sail Boat Project is amazing! I learned loads, was challenged and became confident in the skills gained! Thank you for such a safe, positive and inspiring Competent Crew course! On to Skipper innit – Louisa